Dr. Sujay Ghosh
Physical Chemist, Blogger, Freelancer, DIY Investor
Email: , Phone:
My personal aim is to change the way chemistry is taught for the better. I am an optimistic focused on big goals with innovative solutions. Scientific research encouraged me to explore new territories and push existing limits by following up new leads.
I have passion to learn things beyond my conventional training in my spare time. I gained practical expertise on blogging, computer troubleshooting, software testing, cyber security, web development, personal finance etc. by self-learning. I also love to travel, capture photographs, listen to songs, watching cricket, reading books.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Ceramic Membrane Division, CSIR-Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute, Kolkata [July 2016 − Mar 2017]
- Postdoctoral Research Associate in Chemical Sciences Division, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata [Mar 2015 – Aug 2015]
- Ph. D in Physical Chemistry from Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, University of Calcutta [Feb 2015]
- Post M.Sc. in Biophysical Sciences from Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata [Aug 2010]
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) in Chemistry jointly organized by IITs and IISc [Mar 2009]
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) in Chemistry jointly organized by IITs and IISc [Mar 2008]
- National Eligibility Test (NET) in Chemical Sciences jointly organized by CSIR & UGC [Jun 2008]
- M.Sc. in Chemistry from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur [Aug 2009]
- B.Sc. in Chemistry (Hons.) from Asutosh College, University of Calcutta [July 2007]
- Higher Secondary from Naktala High School, WBCHSE [July 2003]
- Madhyamik from Naktala High School, WBBSE [May 2001]
- Recipient of Lifetime Membership of Indian Society for Radiation and Photochemical Sciences (ISRAPS).
- Recipient of Lifetime Membership of Indian Biophysical Society (IBS).
- Recipient of Research Associateship of CSIR-Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute, Kolkata .
- Recipient of Research Associateship of Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata .
- Recipient of Award for best poster presentation in Acharya Prafulla Chandra Ray Memorial Symposium on Chemistry and Industry .
- Recipient of Senior Research Fellowship of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, India .
- Recipient of Junior Research Fellowship of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, India .
- Recipient of Merit-cum-Means Scholarship from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur [2007-2009].
- Recipient of Award for scoring highest marks in B.Sc. Chemistry (Honours) from Asutosh College .
- Examining the photophysical properties of well-known as well as new organic molecules in various solvents using electronic spectroscopic techniques.
- Studying the modification in the photophysical properties of these molecules in presence of other small molecules or macromolecules, and exploring the mechanism of such interaction.
- Synthesis and characterization of alloy nanoparticles.
- Evaluation of the catalytic power of the synthesized nanoalloys for room temperature hydrogen generation.
- Devising an eco-friendly and economic process for fluoride removal from water.
- Evidence of two structurally related solvatochromic probes complexed with β-cyclodextrin by using spectroscopic methods, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1130 (2017) 810–817.
- Solution phase photophysics of 5,7-dimethoxy-2,3,4,9-tetrahydro-1H-carbazol-1-one: Analysing the lineaments of a new ﬂuorosensor to probe different micro-environments, Journal of Luminescence, 167 (2015) 233-248.
- Influence of microheterogeneity on the solution phase photophysics of a newly synthesised, environment sensitive fluorophore 2-((7,8-dimethyl-1-oxo-2,3,4,9-tetrahydro-1H-carbazol-6-yl)oxy)acetic acid and its tagged derivative, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 296 (2015) 66–79.
- 5,6,7,9-Tetrahydro-[1,3]dioxolo[4,5-h]carbazol-8-one: A solvatochromic PET-acceptor fluorescent probe, Journal of Luminescence, 153 (2014) 296 - 303.
- Photophysical properties of 1,8-naphthalic anhydride in aprotic solvents: An electron acceptor in excited state, Journal of Luminescence, 145 (2014) 410 - 419.
- Photophysics of a solvent sensitive keto-tetrahydrocarbazole based fluorophore and its interaction with triethylamine: A spectroscopic inquest under surfactant and β-CD confinement, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1074 (2014) 617–628.
- Tuning the Solution Phase Photophysics of Two De Novo Designed Hydrogen Bond Sensitive 9-methyl-2,3,4,9-tetrahydro-1H-carbazol-1-one Derivatives, Journal of Fluorescence, 23 (2013) 1179 - 1195.
- Synthesis and spectroscopic exploration of carboxylic acid derivatives of 6-hydroxy-1-keto-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole: Hydrogen bond sensitive fluorescent probes, Journal of Luminescence, 143 (2013) 693 - 703.
- Hydrogen Bond Sensitive Probe 5-Methoxy-1-keto-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro Carbazole in the Microheterogeneity of Binary Mixtures and Reverse Micelles, The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 117 (2013) 2166 - 2174.
- Photophysical properties of an environment sensitive fluorophore 1-keto-6,7-dimethoxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydrocarbazole and its excited state interaction with N,N-dimethylaniline: A spectroscopic investigation, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 240 (2012) 66−74.
Photophysical investigations using the following electronic spectroscopic techniques
- Absorption Spectroscopy,
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy,
- Time-Correlated Single Photon Counting,
- Circular Dichroism,
- Laser Flash Photolysis,
- Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy,
- Ultrafast fluorescence upconversion technique.
- Design, synthesis and characterization of simple organic molecules.
- Synthesis, purification and characterization of metallic nanoparticles.
- Data analysis using Origin Pro, Microsoft Excel, Matlab etc. Adobe Photoshop,
- Energy minimization and geometry optimization using Avogadro, Gaussian 03,
- Analyzing the binding-conformation of small molecules bound to a macromolecule by AutoDock.
Basic knowledge of Fortran, Python.
Practical knowledge of HTML5.
Practical knowledge of CSS3.
I can create simple websites by using content management systems like Wordpress, Forum softwares like MyBB, or hosting simple HTML pages.
Blogging and Software Testing:
I use to test softwares and report my findings through my blog Insights in Technology. I also shared various tips related to technology in my blog.
I used to troubleshoot various kinds software and hardware related issues of my department.
I have special interest in cyber security. I keep myself updated about the various cyber exploitation protocols and shared the awareness with my colleagues.
I keep myself updated about the various finacial instruments and use that knowledge to manage my personal finance.